• Applications should be made on the dates specified on the website of the Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences at http://fenbilimleri.ankara.edu.tr.
• Interviews and science exams for foreign nationality students are carried out in our Department.
• Turkish and foreign candidates who have completed their education abroad and meet the entry requirements must obtain an equivalency certificate from the Turkish Council for Higher Education to be eligible for permanent registration.
• Undergraduate Degree Certificate.
• Undergraduate Degree Transcript (Graduation degree must be at least 2.00 in the quatrain scoring system and those who have not graduated from Ankara University must submit 2 certified copies).
• Identity Card copy bearing the Republic of Turkey Identification Number.
• Foreign Language Certificate (a minimum score of 50 from the YDS, UDS or KPDS is required for Thesis Master’s Degree. In addition, a certificate showing equivalent points taken from a foreign language examination with international validity). The foreign language requirement does not apply for the Non-thesis Master’s Degree Programs.
• A minimum score of ≥55 from any one of the Numerical, Verbal, or Equal Weight score calculations taken from the Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES) is required for Thesis Master’s Degree. The ALES score requirement does not apply for the Non-thesis Master’s Degree Programs.
NOTE: Those willing to apply but do not have an adequate ALES or Foreign Language (YDS) score may apply as a “special student”. The special studentship period will be limited to two semesters. Foreign candidates please see the “Foreign Students” section under “Application”.
Click here to view Admission Requirements for the Thesis Master’s Degree Program through Bologna Information System.
Click here to view Admission Requirements for the Non-Thesis Master’s Degree Program through Bologna Information System.
SCIENTIFIC PREPARATORY CLASS:
According to the Article 48 of the Ankara University Graduate Education Regulation published in the Official Gazette dated 28.11.2016 and numbered 29902, for accepted students who acquired their undergraduate or graduate degrees on another subject or from another university, scientific preparatory program is applied.
The maximum length of time spent in the scientific preparation program is two semesters. Summer education is not included in this period. This period can not be extended beyond the period mentioned and the student who can not complete successfully at the end of the period is dismissed from the University. The time spent in this program is not included in the duration of the master’s or doctoral program. A student in the scientific preparation program can take courses from the program as well.
You can find the list of compulsory and elective courses which should be completed in the Scientific Preparation Program and afterwards in the Course Catalog. Following the completion of the scientific preparation program in two semesters maximum, the following steps should be followed according to the program registered.
NON-THESIS MASTER’S DEGREE:
The master’s program without thesis shows how to use existing knowledge in practice by giving information to the students in vocational subjects. The period of completion of the master’s program without thesis is at least two and no more than three semesters, regardless of whether or not they are enrolled for each semester, except for the time spent in scientific preparation. Students who fail at the end of this program or fail to complete the program will be dismissed from the University.
In order to graduate from the program, at least 35 national credits (11 courses and 1 semester project) must be successfully completed. The total number of credits required to be taken by the students can be given by the adviser and by the Board of Directors.
Click here for information on the Non-Thesis Master’s Degree Program at the Bologna Information System.
THESIS MASTER’S DEGREE:
The master’s program with thesis enables the student to gain the ability to access, compile, interpret and evaluate information by using scientific research methods. The duration of the Master’s program with thesis is four semesters regardless of whether it is registered for each semester except for the time spent in the scientific preparation and the program is completed in six semesters. At the end of four semesters, the student who fails to successfully complete the credit courses and seminar included in the teaching plan, who fails in the thesis study or does not participate in the thesis defense within the maximum period is dismissed from the University.
In order to graduate from the program, at least 28 national credits (11 courses + Research Methods and Academic Writing + Seminar + Master’s Thesis) must be successfully completed. The total number of credits required to be taken by the students can be given by the adviser and by the Board of Directors.
Click here for information on the Thesis Master’s Degree Program at the Bologna Information System.